An Alvin Business Lawyer Discusses Business Tort and Dispute Litigation
A vast number of attorneys never even see the inside of a courtroom and only the most fearless venture into litigation. However, an Alvin corporate lawyer at DeKeyzer Law thrives on the strategies, constant pressure, and the thrill of victory that comes along with business tort and dispute litigation. Holland DeKeyzer is particularly qualified for business litigation because he has experience as a former CPA and financial analyst.
What is Litigation?
Litigation is the process of settling disputes through the court system. Business and tort litigation, commonly known simply as “business” or “commercial” litigation, is most often used to settle disputes between companies or between people and companies.
Common Types of Business Litigation in Texas
Business litigation can take the form of an almost endless variety of business disputes, some of the most common of which are:
- Business torts, such as tortious interference with a contract, tortious interference with business relations, negligent misrepresentation, fraud, fraudulent representation, unfair competition, and conspiracy
- Breach of contract
- Piercing the corporate veil
- Patent, trademark, or copyright disputes
- Trade secrets, confidentiality agreements, and restrictive covenants, such as non-compete agreements
- Unfair business competition
- Collection cases
- Real estate litigation
- Class action lawsuits
Specific Types of Business Litigation in Texas
There are certain types of business litigation that are more impactful or common than other types. These include:
- Shareholder/Partnership/LLC disputes and litigation. Partners, LLC members, and shareholders in businesses and corporations, especially closely held ones, often enter into agreements with optimism and enthusiasm. However, disputes arise, and complex litigation is needed to sort out each person’s expectations. All such ventures need to enter into agreements with the worst-case scenarios in mind.
- Fiduciary Disputes. These types of disputes often arise when a beneficiary believes a fiduciary is not acting in the beneficiary’s best interests. These disputes often cost both sides money but have been known to destroy lifelong friendships if not handled carefully.
- Business Fraud. According to the FBI, business fraud is dishonest and unlawful practices carried out by individuals or businesses in order to benefit such individuals or businesses financially. Also known as corporate fraud, these schemes often appear under the guise of legitimate business practices. An array of crimes fall under business fraud, including Charity fraud, internet auction fraud, non-delivery of merchandise, non-payment of funds, and overpayment schemes.
- Breach of Contract. Likely the most common type of business litigation, where parties dispute their rights and obligations laid out in an agreement. The more complex and far-reaching the contract is, the less chance of breach of contract litigation.
An Alvin Business Lawyer Attorney Can Help If You Need Fierce Representation
Litigation is serious business, and winning or losing may cost you your company. Therefore, you need the very best. A skilled and experienced Alvin business lawyer from DeKeyzer Law will help you win or favorably style your lawsuit. Contact us today for your free consultation.