Alvin Auto Accident Lawyer That Demands Texas Justice From Wrongdoers
Holland DeKeyzer has represented Texans wrongfully injured and killed his entire career. He began his injury and wrongful death law firm by representing victims and families in the most challenging and complicated cases. Whether it is a typical rear-ender, drunk driver, an 18-wheeler, a dump truck, or even a government vehicle, Holland DeKeyzer is a battle-tested Alvin auto accident lawyer focused on representing Texans and their families.
Although financial compensation is the only legal remedy available when you or a loved one suffers from a serious injury or wrongful death, Holland DeKeyzer understands the emotional trauma in his representations and also demands Texas justice–i.e., accountability, an apology, and closure.
How Does Texas Law Determine Financial Compensation And How Can An Auto Accident Lawer Help?
Texas law allows injury and wrongfully killed victims to recover two types of legal damages:
1) Economic Damages
Economic damages are harms and losses like past and future medical bills, lost wages, future medical procedures, future lost earnings, business profits lost, adaptations for home care needed medical equipment, and any out-of-pocket charges connected to the physical injuries. As a former Certified Public Accountant, Holland DeKeyzer uses his knowledge and financial experience to properly calculate and explain these economic damages to juries and insurance companies during jury trials and high-stakes negotiations.
2) Non-Economic Damages.
Non-economic damages are harms and losses that no amount of money can fix, repair, or change–the money only softens the ultimate burden. Non-economic damages are things like past and future physical pain and suffering, losing the ability to walk or exercise, losing your physical independence because of a disability, scarring or other physical disfigurements, losing your ability to perform routine chores around your house, depression, or anxiety, loss of consortium, and any other emotional trauma caused from physical injuries or loss of a loved one. A truly gifted personal injury lawyer excels in recovering these non-economic damages because it requires a trial lawyer with passion, creativity, and an empathetic heart to convey these unique, uncomfortable stories to juries and soulless corporations. Texas injury lawyer Holland DeKeyzer has the personality traits and talents to maximize your financial recovery. Let Holland DeKeyzer tell your story!
Do I Really Need an Experienced Auto Accident Lawyer?
At least half of motor vehicle crashes do not require an experienced auto accident lawyer like Holland DeKeyzer. Injury victims do need an auto accident lawyer when the injured person required an ambulance or a visit to the hospital, or when the injuries do not resolve within a couple of days. Musculoskeletal joints, the spine, and brain injuries respond differently (and sometimes slowly) to physical trauma received in motor vehicle crashes, and many times these severe injuries do not appear obvious immediately after the collision.
These injuries are not like broken bones and lacerations, which appear immediately after the crash and result in intense pain within minutes of the injury. Broken bones, musculoskeletal joints, spinal injuries, and traumatic brain injuries require an auto accident lawyer like Holland DeKeyzer that understands the medical science of these injuries and has the legal knowledge to maximize financial recovery.
Insurance companies know that sometimes severe, permanent injuries only become obvious days after the motor vehicle crash and routinely attempt to settle with the injured victims before the victims realize the extent of the injuries are known. This is called swoop and settle. If the insurance company has offered to settle your injury claim within days of the crash, call Holland DeKeyzer immediately. Texas injury lawyer Holland DeKeyzer has handled dozens of cases in which the insurance company offered to settle within hours or days after the crash. In a few cases, the injured victim agreed to the swoop and settlement offer. In every swoop and settlement case Holland DeKeyzer has handled, he recovered tens of thousands (and in some cases hundreds of thousands) more money than the insurance company originally offered.
What Can I Do To Maximize My Financial Compensation in Texas?
Immediately after a serious vehicle collision is a confusing and emotional time for injured victims and their families. However, having knowledge of a few important tasks will improve the results of your financial compensation.
- Seek immediate medical care. Some injuries are not immediately obvious and may take hours, days, weeks, or even months for symptoms to appear. A medical professional will understand this and can help you document these circumstances. Seek medical care from a hospital or your regular doctor.
- Always follow your medical provider’s instructions exactly as they are explained to you. Any deviations, missed appointments, or failure to take steps that you may think are unnecessary can jeopardize your compensation.
- Do not speak to any insurance company until after you’ve consulted with an Alvin auto accident lawyer at DeKeyzer Law, PLLC, and under no circumstances should you agree to a recorded or written statement. In fact, do not discuss anything other than the most basic facts with anyone, as they may be called or even subpoenaed to testify. Insurance companies care nothing for your injuries and are in the business of making money. To do this, they will deny or delay your claim or offer you an undervalued settlement with the lure of quick money.
- Document everything. Take photos of the vehicles before moving the vehicles. Write down the name and phone number of any witnesses that witnessed the crash or helped after the crash. Write down all your physical and mental symptoms through the medical process and for as long as the case is open. Keep notebooks or your phone alongside your bed and anyplace you might travel to, and if, for example, you wake up at 3:00 a.m. with pain in your foot, be sure to memorialize this. Be sure to include all medical appointments and their diagnoses, as well as all prescriptions. Take your medicine when you are instructed to and memorialize that as well. In short, keep a detailed diary. This can be done by writing into notebooks or recording on your phone. Include details of your experiences before, during, and after the accident.
Types of Auto Accidents in Alvin
Car accidents come in all shapes and sizes. However, some of the most common types of car accidents include:
- Rear-end Collisions. Rear-end collisions are certainly one of the most common types of car accidents and are most likely to occur when traffic is backed up. They commonly result in whiplash injuries.
- Head-on Collisions. Head-on collisions may be the most devastating type of car accident, commonly resulting in moderate-to-severe injuries or deaths for drivers and passengers, including traumatic head and brain injuries.
- Multi-car Collisions. A multi-car collision involves more than one vehicle and is more likely to occur in areas with heavy traffic or along construction zones.
- Broadside Collisions. Commonly referred to as “T-bone” collisions, these types of car accidents occur when another car hits your driver or passenger doors from the side, often because a driver has run a red light or stop sign. These accidents commonly cause broken bones and crush injuries, especially to the person(s) sitting on the collision side.
- Rollover Accidents. Rollover accidents occur when a vehicle, especially a top-heavy vehicle, takes a turn too fast. Seatbelts are particularly critical in these types of accidents.
- Left-turn accidents. Left-turn accidents commonly occur when a car is making a left turn and is struck on your vehicle’s side by another driver who has either run a stoplight or stop sign or is trying to “beat” a turn signal.
Common Causes of Auto Accidents in Texas
There are numerous causes for auto accidents, the most common of which include:
- Texting and driving
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Reckless driving
- Running intersections
- Unsafe lane changes
- Improper turns
- Driving the wrong way
- Inclement weather
- Night driving
- Design defects
- Road rage
- Teenage driving
Common Types of Alvin Auto Accident Injuries
There is a wide variety of types of auto accident injuries, far too many to count. Some of the most common types of car accident injuries include:
- Brain injuries, including traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) and concussions
- Head injuries
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries, including spinal cord injuries
- Ligament and tendon tears, sprains, and strains
- Musculoskeletal joint injuries in the knee, shoulder, elbow, and wrist
- Broken or fractured bones
- Cuts from broken glass or debris
- Internal bleeding
- Vital organ damage or loss
- Emotional trauma
Proving Liability in an Auto Accident under Texas Law
Most car accidents are the result of driver negligence. To show another party was negligent, a victim must prove:
- The other driver owed you a duty of care to obey all traffic laws and drive reasonably safely
- The other driver breached that duty of care
- The breach was the cause of the car accident
- The injuries suffered by the victim were the result of that accident, and those injuries caused legal damages (economic and non-economic)
How Long Do I Have to File My Claim in Texas?
Like most legal claims, there is a time limit by which you must file. This deadline is known as the statute of limitations. A car accident claim is considered a type of personal injury claim. In Texas, the statute of limitations is two years from the accident date for any type of personal injury claim under Texas Civil Code Sec. 16.003. After the time limit is reached, any claims by the victim may be time-barred under Texas law.
Let an Experienced Alvin Auto Accident Attorney Help If You’ve Been Injured In a Motor Vehicle Crash
A skilled and experienced Alvin car accident lawyer will help you with various aspects of a car accident. Our goal is to obtain the best possible outcome for you, and we’ll fight until we can get that, whether it’s in the form of a favorable settlement or a successful trial verdict.
We can handle all of your insurance and legal claims, allowing you to focus on your recovery or the care of a loved one. Contact us today if you’ve been the victim of a car accident in Harris County, Brazoria County, Fort Bend County, Galveston County, Montgomery County, Liberty County, or anywhere in the state of Texas.